On 2014-08-20, 10:47 , Adam Moss wrote:
Hiya,

If someone's re-investigating/rebuilding most of the third-party libraries anyway... Isn't it a good time for the SL Linux client to go (probably exclusively) 64-bit? This wasn't true 8 years ago and wasn't quite true 4 years ago, but I think on balance it'd be a good and happy move in 2014.

Alas, we still have lots of users on systems that are running 32 bit OSes, so supporting a 64 bit build would be adding a build, not replacing one - with all the attendant increased QA and support costs.

We are planning to take one step toward 64 bit support, however. I've added an --address-size option to autobuild (it modifies the platform). That will let us begin experimenting with how many of our packages can be successfully built that way. Baby steps, but we're not quite standing still.

If anyone is interested in trying that version of autobuild, it's in http://bitbucket.org/oz_linden/autobuild-largeaddress

That version is itself of fork of http://bitbucket.org/oz_linden/autobuild-metadata , the differences between that and the current autobuild are described at https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Oz_Linden/Autobuild_Improvements

--
*Scott Lawrence* | /Technical Director, Second Life/
Skype ozlinden <skype://ozlinden> | Second Life Oz Linden <https://my.secondlife.com/oz.linden>