Another useful option would be to build and maintain a VM image with the
complete tool chain installed. It would be great to have as a reference
and would let people who wanted to cross-compile do it much easier, at
an obvious cost of VM overhead.  Pity Windows and OSX compilers couldn't
be VM-ized the same way.