There is a comment that says it is a test to see what breaks when Quicktime support is removed.

At 09:50 PM 4/20/2016, you wrote:
Quite a few widely used SL TV sets still use quicktime media. Those TV sets no longer play the movies now I've uninstalled quicktime from my Windows box. It appears LL are removing quicktime support from their viewer <https://bitbucket.org/callum_linden/viewer-release-noqt>https://bitbucket.org/callum_linden/viewer-release-noqt

----------
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 17:29:52 -0700
From: darien.caldw...@gmail.com
To: opensource-dev@lists.secondlife.com
Subject: Re: [opensource-dev] Quicktime

Actually after more testing, I do see there's one last vestige Quicktime is required for, and that's MP4 video streams. Won't work without it.

But MP3 audio streams don't require Quicktime anymore, which was what I was basing my observation on. So I guess we were both right to some extent. If you don't watch MP4 videos on your parcel, (I certainly don't), you don't need Quicktime installed on your PC.