On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 18:41:07 +0100, Nicky D. wrote:

> - Standalone is afaik broken since a long time, for example there is
> missing FindXXX.cmake files for various packages.

Many such files are actually part of the cmake package or added by the
devel packages of some libraries.
See: /usr/share/cmake/Modules/Find*

> - As far as I know are there no system packages for (at least) glod,
> colladadom, breakpad and cef.
>
> - Some distributions only ship openjpeg2, not 1.4 or 1.5 (for example
> I cannot find anything older than 2
> for Debian Wheezy). Possibly this can be worked around with non
> standard deb repositories in apt.conf.
>
> - Compiling the deb eg on Squeeze and trying to install it on
> something Wheezy based could lead to
> interesting results, due to the dependent packages from the Squeeze
> system being recorded in the deb.
> (Or compiling on Wheezy and installing on Jessie and so on).

I resolved the "STANDALONE" (now "SYSTEMLIBS") issue for my viewer by
making it so that libraries that are not likely to be present in distros,
or not properly patched for SL viewers, or simply incompatible, are still
downloaded as the pre-built viewer libraries (i.e. the resulting viewer
binary is linked against a mix of commonly available system libraries and
exotic/patched pre-built libraries). It more or less works, i.e. it works
on my system (PCLinuxOS) but one of my users encountered an issue with
this method recently (probably because of his distro's curl library,
which I will probably mark as "use-pre-built-curl-only" in future
releases).

Your best bet is however to keep building the viewer using the pre-built
libraries and packaging it together with them (/usr/games/YourViewerName
is a good candidate for the packaged build destination).

> - VLC: Henri pointed out a few times, that the VLC api is not exactly
> stable between releases.

Gstreamer would be better... I would have pointed you to the archived
messages on this list in which I went to great extents to explain
everything in details, but the archive is currently down...

> - Boost will be interesting

You cannot currently using system boost libraries: they lack LL's custom
coroutine stuff...

Henri.