The OpenSSL Software Foundation has a commitment for funding a FIPS
140-2 Level 1 Validation for a new and improved OpenSSL FIPS Object
Module.  The sponsorship for this validation comes with specific and
time-sensitive requirements. The funding will be sufficient to cover
the labor and expenses necessary to obtain a source code based validation
generally comparable in nature to the prior and current validation #1051
(the OpenSSL FIPS Object Module v1.2.2); however only one test platform
(a mobile device) will be included.  The common Wintel/Lintel platforms
addressed in the #1051 validation are currently *not* included.

We will be checking with prospective co-sponsors who have previously
expressed interest in providing partial support to see if there is
interest in sponsoring additional test platforms.  Any parties
interested in such a contribution are encouraged to contact us at the
address below.  However, please note that we cannot and will not delay
the progress of the validation effort in order to include additional
test platforms or other enhancements or improvements not specified in
our current contract.  That means a window of no more than perhaps three
months for the inclusion of new platforms or code changes.

Previous validation efforts which were conducted in relative silence in
deference to political sensitivities.  This time I plan to make an ongoing
effort to report on our plans and progress in detail.  We will post source
code as soon as possible for review and commentary, and I will relate as
much detail on relevant internal discussions and issues as we are allowed
to under non-disclosure restrictions.

I will begin by detailing the currently planned technical scope over the
next few days, as soon as we have all of the contractual paperwork fully
in place.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess