In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you wrote:
>>From STATUS:
>>    o  The installation under "make install" produces a very
>>       installation layout: $prefix/certs and $prefix/private dirs.
>>       That's  not nice. Ralf suggests to move the two certs and
>>       private dirs either to $prefix/etc/, $prefix/lib/ or $prefix/share.
>>       Alternatively we could also not install the certs at all.

>>                       moving it to $prefix/etc/. +0 for $prefix/lib/
>>                       and $prefix/share.

> Ralf, I'm not sure what you mean by a "not nice" layout. It seems
> reasonable to me, given that $prefix is (by convention) a private
> directory for OpenSSL's files. So there is not really a need for an
> additional directory layer for $prefix/etc.

Yes, per default our $prefix is a dedicated dir like /usr/local/ssl. But a lot
of people are using a shared hierarchy like $prefix=/usr/local. And for them
it's nasty to have $prefix/certs and $prefix/private.

> One thing I think is in the wrong place, though, is ssleay.cnf, which
> shouldn't be in $prefix/lib. A good new location would be $prefix/etc. So
> I'd like:

>     bin       <-- program binaries
>     certs     <-- certificates
>     etc       <-- ssleay.cnf
>     include   <-- header files
>     lib       <-- library files
>     private   <-- private keys

I want to propose a less spreaded layout like and the use of a openssl.cnf
instead of ssleay.cnf:

>     bin       <-- openssl program
>     etc       <-- openssl.cnf, certificates, private keys
>     include   <-- header files
>     lib       <-- library files

This is a small top-level layout which then fits into all dedicated
hierarchies and 99% of all shared hierarchies. I'm sure package maintainers
and other filesystem fanatics like this. At least (independed whether it's
good or bad) it's the way hundrets of existing packages already install
theirself ;-)
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       www.engelschall.com