>[BTW, there is a bug in SSLeay and the released version of OpenSSL
>(which has been corrected at www.openssl.org)

I have to correct myself: The bug does not occur in SSLeay, only in
OpenSSL. (When I saw the diff I assumed that the invalid fopen
attribute "br" must have been the old version, but it was not.)

The fix is to use in=fopen(file,"rb") insted of "br". Using "br"
causes the fopen call to fail at least on Debian GNU/Linux.

SSLeay just used "r", which can in the worst case result in no data
being read under Windows.