I am currently working through putting together a glibc2 (2.0.6) linux (2.0.36)
system using the egcs-1.1.1 compiler - the other service of note on this system
is a NIS installation.

I hadn't meant to be into the OpenSSL intricacies this early in the
proceedings, but I wanted the DES routines for nfs-server-2.2beta29 (otherwise
I would have to disable the secure rpc call to complete the nfs build).

Anyway, the build part went through but the test hung at the req section (d ->
d).  I also tried generating a CA certificate, and the process stopped at the
RSA generation - a single dot appeared.  In both cases, you could break out of
the process.

I rolled back to a SSLeay 0.8.1 source, with the PKCS12-0.2 patch.  This built
and tested on the system without a problem.

At the moment, I don't have a working gdb so it is difficult to give much more
information.  It will probably take another month before I can revisit this
issue.  However, I thought I should give early warning on this, in case I'm not
the only one who may be working with bleeding edge packages.

Best regards,

Jon Barnett.