On 22-Jan-99 Ben Laurie wrote:
> Sameer Parekh wrote:
>>
>>         We may be misunderstanding each other. Let me outline my
>> position in pieces so we can see where we agree and where we
>> disagree, more specifically.
>>
>> a) I would like the OpenSSL project to protect the codebase from being
>> polluted with export-restricted code, US or otherwise.
>
> My problem with this is that it requires the OpenSSL project to be aware
> of export restrictions in other jurisdictions. If we really have to be
> aware, then so be it, but I'd be _much_ happier if we could only worry
> about our own. Can we not protect the codebase simply by asking that
> people don't pollute it? Further, can we not back out any contributions
> that turn out to be polluting?

you can choose to ignore the problem. but if somebody does violate US export law
and put code into OpenSSL then you have the situation that:

US multinationals would not be able to use it

any person who worked on OpenSSL outside the USA could potentially be arrested
when entering the USA for breaking US export laws or denied a visa to get into the
USA

ignorance is no protection
--
simon