Ulf Moeller wrote:

> Compiliation with -DNOPROTO once again fails with standard C compilers.
> I think it is time to remove it.
>
> I can't say I understand mkdef.pl, but if we encapulate the prototypes
> with something like /* begin prototypes */ and /* end prototypes */
> parsing them should hardly be more complicated than the K&R declarations.

Its not just mkdef.pl its also the err_genc.pl script that uses this
stuff to translate the error codes into function names (but its a bit
broken because it only looks in one header file). Parsing the NOPROTO
sections is very easy because its all of the form:

some_type func_name();

all on one line. The parsing just picks up the last word before the
opening '('. Parsing an ANSI multi-line prototype is quite a bit harder.

I'm not against removing the NOPROTO stuff but it would need a working
mkdef.pl and err_genc.pl first.

Steve.
--
Dr Stephen N. Henson.   http://www.drh-consultancy.demon.co.uk/