Ulf Möller wrote:

> >ulf> Should we keep /usr/local/ssl as the default installation path?
> >ulf> Or better use $prefix=/usr/local and put the certs and config
> >ulf> into $prefix/openssl or something like that?
> >
> >Hmm...  I guess that's a religious question.
>
> My vote for the default is $prefix=/usr/local and use $prefix/openssl
> for certs etc. Or should that be $prefix/etc/openssl?
>
> Do we have any supporters of the /usr/local/ssl religion left?

I think it is a Good Thing for openssl to install by default in a
dedicated directory.

Another Good Thing is to blend in nicely into the system locations
using just configure options.

And there are more possibilities. Have all of openssl installed into
some /usr/[local/]openssl directory of choice but keep certificates,
keys, configuration files in /etc or /etc/openssl is one of them.

As it is with religions, there is no benefit from trying to enforce
one or another. Having the choice is the real religious item to me.
It would be nice if no source patches were needed to get that far :)

--
Niels Poppe - org.net bv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>