Hello;

I'm attempting to convert a buffer containing a sequence of
DER-encoded objects into a set of X509 objects.

The documentation for d2i_TYPE:

    TYPE *d2i_TYPE(a, pp, length)
    TYPE **a;
    unsigned char **pp;
    long length;

says that "*pp will be updated to point to *pp + length, so that d2i can be
called
repeatedly with the same arguments to process a block of DER-encoded objects."

However, I don't know what the length of each DER-encoded object is, so how
can I pass in the proper value for "length" on each call to d2i_X509?
Also, of
what use is it to me for the routine to increment *pp, given that I would need
to know "length" for each call anyway, and could therefore increment it
myself?

It seems to me that this routine should pass back the value of "length" for
each DER-encoded object it finds in *pp.  I must be misunderstanding
something.

- thanks in advance;
  Dave