I rebuilt without optimization, and still get:

Protocol SSLv2, cipher SSLv2, DES-CBC3-MD5
test sslv3
ERROR in SERVER
16177:error:1408C095:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_FINISHED:digest check
failed:s3_both.c:147:
16177:error:140940E5:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:ssl handshake
failure:s3_pkt.c:651:
Protocol SSLv3, cipher TLSv1/SSLv3, EDH-RSA-DES-CBC3-SHA
*** Exit 1
Stop.
*** Exit 1
Stop.

Here the version information:

OpenSSL 0.9.3 23 May 1999
built on: Thu Jun  3 21:13:46 PDT 1999
platform: nextstep
blowfish(idx)
compiler: cc -DRSAref -Wall

What is even more serious is that applications built with this version of
OpenSSL will not interoperate with applications built with SSLeay.  Sometimes
I get "TLS_ENC:decryption failed", other times "block cipher pad is wrong".

I think that the SSLeay based version is correct since it also interoperates
with other SSL software, whereas the OpenSSL version has problems.

Is there anything that I should try?  It's a fairly important project (Pine
and the IMAP server).