1) I note there is an edian flag but I do not understand at this point why it is
present.  It is quite trivial for the software to determine
the edian order of a CPU and to my way of thinking the user/installer should not be
asked for information that the software can
detect for itself at run time.

I would think there might be a very slight performance penatly but I doubt it would be
more than 0.1% and probably an order of
magnitude less.

I will funrish a function to detect the endian order if requested.

2)  I posted a note with regard to __bzero showing up in the object, libs and
executables compiled on redhat linux.  I have now
gotten to the bottom of this.  As most know - gnu has release version 2.0.x of the
glibc.  Executables linked into the version 2
libraries are not binary compatible with older distributions of linux - specifically
the shared libraries that come with glibc version
1.5.x can not support executables linked into the version 2.0.x libraries.  The
underlying reason for this is that many changed
were needed to support things like threads and this basically broke the compatibility.

Thus - I was mistaken is suspecting that something in the openssl source tree
triggered the problem.  If anyone has read my
post and is puzzled about what was goign on - you now have an explanation.

Thanks.

3)  Do we have a documentation project running?  I'll be willing to contribute if we
do.