Actually, this doesn't work. This is a question I've been wanting an answer to for a
while: Whenever you create a CSR w/ a tool like RSA's (or with a  server like Netscape
that uses RSA's code), the private key is generated as a DER encoded PKCS8 file of 670
bytes (for a 1024 bit RSA key). But you can't ever seem to use this w/ the OpenSSL
code (at least as far as I've been able to learn).

The code below might work (if it included the x509 option) for a cert, but never for a
key. I've tried openssl pkcs8 ... and all its flavors but never found anything to
work. Anyone got the solution?

John

Aaron Stromas wrote:
> try this
>
> openssl -inform DER -in cert.der -outform PEM -out cert.pem
>
> hth,
>
> -a
>
> Jeffrey Ricks wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Here's my situation... I'm trying to
>> produce certs and keys with the Java security packages
>> for use in my ssl enabled web server. The problem is
>> that when I try to start apache in SSL mode, it
>> doesn't like my server cert's private key. The Java
>> docs say that the private key I generated is a DER
>> encoding of the PKCS8 format. I took that output,
>> base64 encoded it, and added PEM headers. At this
>> point it

etc.