The next time you run "whois" on a domain don't be surprised if you find that a guy named "Luis" from "Barranquilla" owns it already.

A couple days ago I wrote a program to look for "mildly pleasing" 4 letter tld's (example: quzu.com) - trying to find something as cool as 'miva' for our scripting language.  On the same day the program was run, July 18th, I emailed my friend the list of the 50 domains it found.  The next day - all 50 domains were registered - with a registration date of July 18th.

At first I thought that someone had sniffed my email or my 'whois' queries en-route.  (I'm still not sure if I was wrong)  Anyway, someone from 'eee.net' was in the last leg of the process of registering ALL of the remaining 4 letter .COM's.

If you do a whois on any of these domains you will find them:

    AUAR.com,AUCF.com,AUDZ.com,AUJA.com, AUKA.com

This guy has registered more than 150,000 4-Letter TLD's with Network Solutions.  And, unless they give special bulk pricing - or there's a back door in the SRS system - that means that over $5 million dollars was spent in an effort to keep drive the price up on small domain names.  Better than a mutual fund?

There's probably more to this story (like Network Solutions never heard of him - or worse - he used to work there), but I've reached the end of my investigative rope.

                                                    - Erik