Although the learning curve for OpenSSL is steep,
I must say I appreciate not having to write all that code
myself :-)

I'm writing a custom BIO for a multithreaded program on Linux.
It was aborting with SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL but no errno (yech).
I tracked it down by inserting about three hundred calls to
  #define XX printf("%d %s %d\n", getpid(), __FILE__, __LINE__)
into the library to narrow it down to part of ssl3_connect,
then stepping in the debugger until I noticed the problem:
my BIO didn't implement flush correctly.

Thank goodness the sources are there - it would have been much
harder to track down otherwise.
I dunno how people ever got along with closed-source toolkits...

- Dan