I just discovered that GNU ranlib is the same as "ar s", and, what's
more, according to the man pages, once its been run once on a library it
never needs to be run again, coz ar automatically updates it. Arranging
for this to happen is a substantial boost to build speed - I guess
simply doing it once at the end of the run would do, especially as for
GNU archives it is an optional extra, so failure to do it doesn't really
hurt.

Cheers,

Ben.

--