From: Rich Salz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem with > 1024 file descriptors
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 13:48:44 -0500

rsalz> > ????  The above line strikes me as a typical fence-post error on the
rsalz> > part of the application author.
rsalz>
rsalz> No.  Some Solaris, for example, use a char (not even unsigned char!) to
rsalz> store the file descriptor in their FILE structure (E.g., what K&T (1st
rsalz> ed.) shows as "int _fd" on page 165.

Granted.  But it doesn't make the code you showed less a fence-post
error :-).

rsalz> I am skeptical, but can believe that fopen/et al are more portable than
rsalz> open/read et al. Which is why I suggested making it a compile-time flag
rsalz> in bss_file.c

Note, that's mostly for streams, and moreso for streams of text.  At
least in my area of experience...

rsalz> > Also, have you looked at bio/bss_fd.c?
rsalz>
rsalz> Sure, but the issue is what OpenSSL uses interally, as I hope
rsalz> my example showed.

Oh, absolutely.  What I wanted to point out is that there is a BIO
that uses file descriptors, which makes the need for a flag to
bss_file.c completely needless and one complication too many.  To
solve said problem, one should use the file descriptor BIO instead of
the stream BIO...

--
Richard Levitte   \ Spannvägen 38, II \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Chairman@Stacken   \ S-168 35  BROMMA  \ T: +46-8-26 52 47

Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
See <http://www.stacken.kth.se/~levitte/mail/> for more info.