Regarding the problem of binary incompatibility between versions of
shared libraries, I think the big problem is probably the way the
shared library is named.  Since the internal names (set with -soname)
normally are 'libcrypto.so.0' and 'libssl.so.0', I imagine it looks
like the same version of the library (that is, the API) all along.  On
some systems, the versioning and backward compatibility can be better
defined, like in OSF and possibly on Irix (although I'm quite unsure
about that one).

I'm aware that the current way things are done is a bit clumsy,
version-wise.  I might need some help getting it right, or at least
understanding the finer points in shared library versioning...

--
Richard Levitte   \ Spannvägen 38, II \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Chairman@Stacken   \ S-168 35  BROMMA  \ T: +46-8-26 52 47

Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
See <http://www.stacken.kth.se/~levitte/mail/> for more info.