On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 03:40:09PM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>   Modified:    .        Makefile.org
>   Log:
>   HP-UX shared libraries do not build any longer, as EX_LIBS contains
>   "-Wl,+s" instead of +s:
>   * Hardcoded necessary references to -ldld/-ldl into the build rules and
>     removed EX_LIBS.
>
>   HP-UX records the pathnames of dependent libraries when the shared libs
>   are built, so that ./libcrypto.sl... is recorded in libssl.sl..., with
>   "./" not being resolvable when running an application linked against -lssl:
>   * Build libssl without explicit reference to libcrypto, applications will
>     be linked with "-lssl -lcrypto" anyway.

There is another issue with HP-UX shared libraries:
The install-target will install the shared libraries with permission "644",
the optimum setting for HP-UX is however "555":
* HP-UX needs "+x", otherwise the libraries are not usable.
  This change would be compatible. On my (SuSE)-Linux box, the shared
  libraries are also installed with execute permission set.
* For HP-UX it is strongly recommended to install "read-only", as otherwise
  performance degradation may occur.
  I am however not sure, whether "-w" is also recommendable for other
  platforms.

Opinions?

Best regards,
        Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BTU Cottbus               http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/