On Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 12:05:46PM +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Bodo Moeller wrote:
>> Peter Gutmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>>> Noone knows (and I don't just mean that as a shoulder-shrug response, I mean
>>> that noone, at least on the PKIX list, actually knows what's supposed to happen
>>> in this situation).  The behaviour from current apps is that some will accept a
>>> self-revocation, some will reject it, and a small number will crash or fail in
>>> some other way.

>> I like the idea of having the application crash in such a situation:
>> Obviously the application developers noticed the similarity to the
>> Epimenides paradoxon [1] and did not see any other way out except having
>> the program vanish in a puff of logic.

> Eh? Surely if a cert revokes itself then one of two things has happened:
>
> a) The legitimate owner revoked it
>
> b) Someone else got hold of the private key and revoked it
>
> in either case, you want the cert to be revoked, right?

Sure.  As I explained, there's nothing paradoxical about the
Epimenides paradoxon either; but still it's often cited as a
prototypical paradoxon.

(I had hoped for someone to point out that the Greek did not
have a senate ...)

--
Bodo Möller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
PGP http://www.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/TI/Mitarbeiter/moeller/0x36d2c658.html