On Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 04:22:17PM -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:

>>> I think it is a fool's errand to try to make it possible to
>>> "share" every data structure across threads.

>> Noone has said "every", but some have asked for "some".

> And then there are the contrarians who ask for "none".
> It ought to be possible to provide an OpenSSL API which doesn't
> do any locking at all, for the benefit of those apps which are
> structured so threads don't stomp on each other.

This certainly can be done, but it requires extensive API changes.
In particular, we'd have to add an ERR_STATE * argument to every
function that may fail.  Other locks would still best be left to
OpenSSL, I think: If an application decides that it does not need
them, then it doesn't have to do anything special -- just don't
register any locking callbacks, and OpenSSL will use no locks.

--
Bodo Möller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
PGP http://www.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/TI/Mitarbeiter/moeller/0x36d2c658.html