On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 11:18:13AM +0100, Bodo Moeller wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 05:45:02PM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >   +  *) Add automatic query of EGD sockets in RAND_poll() for the unix variant.
> >   +     If an EGD or PRNGD is running and enough entropy is returned, automatic
> >   +     seeding like with /dev/[u]random will be performed.
> >   +     Positions tried are: /etc/entropy, /var/run/egd-pool.
> >   +     [Lutz Jaenicke]
>
> Is /etc/entropy a standard location for EGD?  Otherwise, and maybe
> even if it is, I'd prefer an explicit file name such as /etc/egd-pool
> instead of /etc/entropy.  The reason is that, judging from its name,
> /etc/entropy could be about anything (a symlink to /dev/random or
> whatever), but EGD has a very specific interface design; and for those
> who find /etc/{entropy,egd-pool} and are curious what is used for,
> "egd" is a better term for grepping through the documentation or
> searching the web.  (It will probably be obvious from the context that
> "egd" does not refer to esophagogastroduodenoscopy, even though the
> querying procedure is similar.  And a web search for "egd pool" is
> likely to show up pages that are about the Entropy Gathering Daemon.)

I wholeheartly agree. The /var/run/egd-pool coincides with your understanding
and is my personal location and proposal. /etc/entropy I took from the
README in egd-0.8, where it is explicitly named:
HOW TO USE EGD WITH OpenSSH: <http://www.openssh.com>
 (thanks to Patrick Gardella)

 First, you'll need to configure OpenSSH to use EGD for it's random number
 needs.  Add "--with-egd-pool=/etc/entropy" to the arguments you give to
 ./configure.

 Second, you need to have the daemon running. EGD listens on unix-domain
 socket for entropy requests. When you start egd.pl, you tell it where to
 create the socket.  It can be anywhere for which you have write
 permissions.  Common places include, /etc/entropy, /tmp/entropy, etc.
 Simply start the daemon as follows:

  egd.pl /etc/entropy

Of course, we are free to contact Brian Warner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> and
ask him to propose a better location.

Best regards,
        Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BTU Cottbus               http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/