in config:

    GNU*)
        echo "hurd-x86"; exit 0;
        ;;

in Configure:

"hurd-x86",  "gcc:-DL_ENDIAN -DTERMIOS -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -m486
-Wall::-D_REENTRANT:-ldl:BN_LLONG ${x86_gcc_des}
${x86_gcc_opts}:${x86_elf_asm}:dlfcn:linux-shared:-fPIC",

This allows a complete build on a debian hurd system.  It's not fully
tested, but the openssh client works using the library built this way.

If you have any questions, please include me on the reply, as I am not
actually an openssl developer.

Jonathan Bartlett

--
PGP information is available at http://members.wri.com/johnnyb/about/