I have a small problem and I would like to solicit advice.

I am adapting OpenSSL to work with some *very* unique
hardware.  This will require extensive modifications to
the core ssl communications part of the library (y'know,
sslX_accept(), sslX_connect(), sslX_read(), sslX_write(), etc.).
"Extensive modifications" in many cases means "complete
replacement".

So I need to understand everything I can about the subtleties
of the protocol.  Obviously most of what I need to know is
already instantiated in the existing library; and I'll be the
first to admit that I've asked some very dumb questions
because I overlooked something obvious in the code or
documentation.

Still, I am soloing the software side of this project, and it's
always good to have other programmers to compare notes
with.  And (sorry EAY!) the code can be quite obscure at
times - the occasional quick question might save me a
few hours of puzzling over code.

I have asked some protocol questions on this list, even
though I knew it wasn't exactly the right forum.  I have
tried asking on the openssl-users list, but questions there
tend to get lost in the noise of compilation problems and
solaris randomness issues.

Ideally I'd want to be on [EMAIL PROTECTED],
but of course there is no such list, and I doubt many people
would sign up for it if there were.  I suppose I could ask for
special permission to ask such questions here on openssl-dev,
but these are not generally questions that apply to all
OpenSSL developers.

Any other ideas?

Tom Biggs