[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I think Oscar's a bit confused.

Quite possibly. :-)

>  Richard wants to say
>         This is the cert of the OCSP responder I trust
> and that *is all* he wants to say.  He does not want/need to verify the
> chain of certs from the responder.  (It could be self-signed, it
> could be he has out of band information, etc.)

I think it just boils down to different trust model concepts.

I read "a Trusted Responder whose public key is trusted by the
requester" as one that had been [cross-]certified into my Public Key
Infrastructure. The resulting certificate would then warrant
verification, as validation information could then be carried in-band.

I guess I'm simply more comfortable trusting certificates than public
keys.

//oscar