Richard,

On Sat, 18 Aug 2001 12:35:36 +0200 (MET DST), Richard Levitte - VMS
Whacker wrote:

>Hmm...  In 0.9.7-dev, there's an AIX variant that does what you do,
>but in a slightly different way:

>[...]
>          ld -r -o $$i.o $(ALLSYMSFLAG) lib$$i.a && \
>[...]

>Please note the 'ld -r'.  That's apparently the way to build one giant
>.o file from a library or a number of smaller .o files.

Here are my $0.02 on that:

I don't understand (yet) why one should bother which each and every
systems idea (better: each combination of OS and compiler) of how to get
back the code from some libXXX.a and stuff in into libXXX.so and trying
to do this in one complicated non-portable step.

It seems far less complicated to me to just unpack all those .o files we
have from libXXX.a ("$AR x" should always do the job) and then bind them
together into a shared object with what the system offers. Using this
pretty generic way you only need the information how to produce a shared
object and that's it.

Ok, perhaps I should admit I'm not the always-ported-every-code-to-
every-system guy, so there is a big chance for me to miss something. :-)

Regards,
        Robert

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Siemens Business Services - FS CBS KORDOBA-Outsourcing