I'm fairly new to solaris8-intel, could be my inexperience with compiling
binaries/scripts.

./config --prefix=/usr/local --openssldir=/usr/local/openssl run from
/usr/local/openssl-0.9.6b appears to have no errors. No directories are created in
/usr/local, yet no errors. When running make, the folowing error occurs. I had to copy
make into /usr/bin to get it into the path.

# make
+ rm -f libcrypto.so.0
+ rm -f libcrypto.so
+ rm -f libcrypto.so.0.9.6
+ rm -f libssl.so.0
+ rm -f libssl.so
+ rm -f libssl.so.0.9.6
making all in crypto...
( echo "#ifndef MK1MF_BUILD"; \
echo "  /* auto-generated by crypto/Makefile.ssl for crypto/cversion.c
*/"; \
echo "  #define CFLAGS \"cc -KPIC -DTHREADS -D_REENTRANT -DDSO_DLFCN
-DHAVE_DLFCN_H -fast -O -Xa\""; \
echo "  #define PLATFORM \"solaris-x86-cc\""; \
echo "  #define DATE \"`date`\""; \
echo "#endif" ) >buildinf.h
cc -I. -I../include -KPIC -DTHREADS -D_REENTRANT -DDSO_DLFCN
-DHAVE_DLFCN_H -fast -O -Xa  -c  cryptlib.c
/usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not installed
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `cryptlib.o'
Current working directory /usr/local/openssl-0.9.6b/crypto
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `sub_all'
#

Below is a ls of the /usr/local/openssl-0.9.6b directory

# ls
apps            demos           INSTALL.MacOS   makevms.com     rsaref
bugs            doc             INSTALL.VMS     ms              shlib
certs           e_os.h          INSTALL.W32     NEWS            ssl
CHANGES         e_os2.h         LICENSE         openssl.doxy    test
CHANGES.SSLeay  FAQ             MacOS           openssl.spec    times
config          include         Makefile        perl            tools
Configure       INSTALL         Makefile.org    README          util
crypto          install.com     Makefile.ssl    README.ENGINE   VMS
#
If this is a bug, great for open source, if not please direct me in detail.

Stephen Davis
614-848-3995 X179