On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 12:42:50PM -0400, Jeremy Hylton wrote:
> I have recently taken over maintenance of Python's minimal SSL
> interface, which provides a few basic operations via the standard
> socket module.  When I compile Python, I get many warnings from gcc
> about OpenSSL headers files -- all "function declaration isn't a
> prototype".
>
> There are a lot of struct and function declarations that define
> function pointers without parameter specifications.  These are
> problematic on several grounds, no least of which is the anal goal we
> have of making Python compile without any warnings :-).  If the
> declarations were prototypes, it would also improve argument checking
> and coercion on subsequent calls.  It would also make the code a bit
> easier to read.  I did a cursory review of a few calls and found it
> hard to tell what the arguments to these functions should be.
>
> Is there any intent to make these function declarations into
> prototypes in a future version of OpenSSL?  If I wanted to contribute
> patches, would that be a good idea?  (or a bad idea either for
> technical or political reasons?)

The time the OpenSSL team members can spend on the project is limited.
If you can supply a patch, we will strongly consider applying it :-)
Please only take care of the current development snapshot (0.9.7-dev).
The development for 0.9.6c is more or less finished and for compatibility
reasons we should leave this point as is.

Best regards,
        Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BTU Cottbus               http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/