On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 11:22:18PM +0100, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> This was a very useful patch.  However, I believe that either on AIX
> or HP-UX, the environment variable isn't called LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and
> the whole thing works a little bit differently.  Remind me please,
> anyone?

HP-UX (32bit) uses SHLIB_PATH and it is only used when the executable
was linked with +s: this is useful for dynamic loading. For building
executables against shared libraries it is normally not necessary to
provide this information, as the path to the shared library is
hardcoded at link stage.
This of course requires special provisions when e.g. installing OpenSSL
itself: when performing "make", the shared libraries just generated are
normally not yet installed and therefore the executable built will not
have the correct path to find the shared libraries at runtime.
Libtool therefore re-links the executables after installing the shared
libraries at their final destination when performing a "make install".
OpenSSL would have to do the same thing when it is intended to install
the "openssl" command line tool against the shared libraries.
There are reasons, why the shlib/hpux10-cc.sh is looking somewhat
complicated (besides building with +O4=optimization at link time)...

Best regards,
        Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BTU Cottbus               http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/