From: Götz Babin-Ebell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

babinebell> is there a way to ask the random engine about how much randomness
babinebell> it contains ?
babinebell> RAND_status() returns 1 if the random pool contains at least
babinebell> 20 bytes (ENTROPY_NEEDED in rand_lcl.h).
babinebell>
babinebell> That is OK for SSL handshake, but for asymetric key generation
babinebell> we need a lot of more entropy.

The 20 bytes minimum is the needed amount of seeding to get secure
enough random numbers from the pool.  Each time you fetch random
bytes, the pool is remixed, thus providing for more random bytes.

Unless you find it worrying that we ask of only 20 bytes minimum of
seeding, you should be without problems.

--
Richard Levitte   \ Spannvägen 38, II \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Redakteur@Stacken  \ S-168 35  BROMMA  \ T: +46-8-26 52 47

Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
See <http://www.stacken.kth.se/~levitte/mail/> for more info.