Hi,

Repost(from users list) with slight enhancements.
I thought, probably, it is a developer question.

I just recently joined the OpenSSL world
to implement EAP-TLS, rfc2716, using OpenSSL libraries.

I could not make any significant progress for the last one week
due to lack of documentation on ssl libraries and
request your help.

EAP Background:
EAP-server handles all the transformation of TLS-messages
    (including handshaking messages).
EAP-Server provides plain text message to SSL library for
    encryption, Similarly, it provides all the
    cipher text message to SSL library for decryption.

To start with, lets say,
    1. EAP-Server provides the complete
        cipher text message with all the (TLS/SSL) records to SSL
library for
        decryption.
    2. It is the responsibility of ssl library to handle all the
handshaking,
        encryption & decryption of a message and EAP-Server's
responsibility
        to transfer all the messages to EAP-Client.
        (Please let me know if this is not possible with the existing
ssl library)

Questions:
1. Is BIO interface suitable for the above scenario
    and can it be used to handle both handshaking & data.
2. What are the different TLS/SSL APIs that can provide the following
functionality
    A. Plain text message to TLS-message.
    B. TLS-message to Plain text message.
    C. TLS Handshaking APIs.

Please provide any sort of information in this regard.

-Raghu