You should initialize ensure the PRNG has enough entropy long before
you try to call SSL_connect().

> hi,
>
> i found a big performace problem with ssl_connect(). I WOULDN'T CALL IT A
> REAL BUG, BUT IT COULD BE A BIG PROBLEM !!!
> i integrated openssl inside my application and the ssl handshake needs more
> than 30 seconds. on the same system but under win95 it just takes 5 seconds.
> the problem seems to be inside the \crypto\rand\rand-win.c file. the
> function rand_poll() enumerates all threads, processes, modules and heaps to
> get the entropy of the system.
> this way may be very save for creating a good random seed, but imagine if
> there are a lot more of other processes and threads running beside openssl.
> rand_poll() doesn't stops enumerating until all processes (and so on) are
> touched.
> normaly there are 100 threads, 30 processes, 50 modules and 10 heaplists
> 'running' on my system (win2000) and the ssl handshake takes less than 2
> seconds.
> inside my application there are 247 threads, 46 processes, 107 modules and
> 22 heaplists 'running' and the ssl handshake time grows up to 30 seconds.
> my suggestion is to build in an counter for all of these values and stop
> enumerating after each counter is on a specified max value.
> please think about it or prove me wrong.
>
> rené

 Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer      C-Kermit 8.0 available now!!!
 The Kermit Project @ Columbia University   includes Telnet, FTP and HTTP
 http://www.kermit-project.org/             secured with Kerberos, SRP, and
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]                OpenSSL. Interfaces with OpenSSH