On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 07:13:34PM +0000, John Salinas wrote:
> First let me thank you for your wonderful product openssl.  It works
> great and I am very thankful it is out there.  I have found a small
> conflict in more recent version of the config or Configure script for
> version 0.9.c back through 0.9.5 that if $PERL is defined as anything but
> the binary location for perl the configure script will fail with a
> message: permission defined to /var/local/bin (or I guess whatever the
> path that $PERL is defined as).
> Personally I have $PERL defined as the source of perl and the place where
> I put new modules.  I would think that your script should at least check
> if $PERL is defined to see if the path it is pointing to is a binary or
> not – it will try to use it as a binary executable even if it points to a
> directory!  Not a good idea.  Perhaps if $PERL is defined you could
> either prompt to see if it is the correct value, test to see if it is the
> correct value or unset and set it again before your configure scripts
> exit.
> It is a very small problem but I expect it could confuse some newer user
> users.

Even though it might have surprised you, using the PERL environment
variable in the way OpenSSL does it is a comletely normal technique.
There exist ideas to move to autoconf one fine day and integrating
a suitable check for perl might be part of the move, but I think we
should leave things as they are right now.

Best regards,
        Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/