Nils Larsch wrote:

> On Thursday, 25. April 2002 22:47, you wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm tring to use DH params from
> > http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsec-ike-modp-groups-04.txt
> > <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsec-ike-modp-groups-04.tx
> >
> > > , but none get imported in openssl, and openssl returns
> >
> > DH_NOT_SUITABLE_GENERATOR... Can any one give me a reason why ??
>
> Hi Aslam,
>
> the problem is that DH_check() whether the supplied generator
> ( in our case 2 ) is a generating element of the full multiplicative
> group ( of the field GF(p) ) . In the DH-parameters from the
> draft-ietf-ipsec-ike-modp-groups-04.txt ( created in accordance
> with rfc-2412 Appendix E ) the generator 2 is a is a quadratic
> residue mod p ( e.g. there exits a x in GF(p) with 2 = x^2 mod p )
> and hence 2 is not a generator of the full multiplicative group.
> I propose you ignore ( if you can ) the result of DH_check(),
> because I don't think the parameters are insecure :)

In general, if you generate a large subset, you are still secure. In
fact, using a generator, g, that generates the whole group leaks the
bottom bit of k, given g^k. You also can't invert the exponents if the
generator generates the whole group. Both of these are discussed in my
paper on Lucre (http://anoncvs.aldigital.co.uk/lucre/theory2.pdf).

Note that RFC 2412 says: "Note that 2 is technically not a generator in
the number theory sense, because it omits half of the possible residues
mod P.  From a cryptographic viewpoint, this is a virtue.", which is
precisely the type of generator I use for Lucre. To check for that, we
check that: g^2 mod p != 1 and g^((p-1)/2) mod p == 1. We should perhaps
revise the OpenSSL checks to do that. It should also be required that
(p-1)/2 is prime, so that, too should be checked. Of course, this would
break all existing "satisfactory" DH parameters. Hmmm.

Cheers,

Ben.