As already pointed out in additional emails in openssl-dev:
* the change will stay in place, thus NID_x500UniqueIdentifier
  will be the macro to use starting with OpenSSL 0.9.7
* I have not activated the "original" meaning of uniqueIdentifier and
  it will not be done before 0.9.8 in order to prevent silent failure.
* I have added appropriate documentation in CHANGES, NEWS, FAQ.

Best regards,
       Lutz