>From: Geoff Thorpe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: [openssl.org #86] Bug in RSA_check_key Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002
>15:02:36 -0400 (EDT)

>*Maybe* ... but even then it doesn't solve the case of public keys.
>Moreover, how do you actually test a public key? What does "check"
>actually mean in this case?

>Cheers,
>Geoff

I would suggest the following for checking RSA public keys:

1) that the public exponent e satisfies 3 <= e < n and that
   e is odd (PKCS#1)   [this doesn't prevent low exponent
   attacks however]
2) that the modulus n is not a probable prime
   (e.g., apply 80 rounds of Miller-Rabin)
3) that n is not divisible by small primes
4) that n is not a perfect power
5) that n provides a suitable setting for the factoring
   problem (e.g., |n| > 512 bits or 768 bits, etc.), and give
   a warning if it is not.

I am working on some code which I hope to donate to
OpenSSL that accomplishes (4) and more...

Adam Young