Hi there,

[I'm not cross-posting this to openssl-users, openssl-dev on its own
should be quite sufficient]

On Thu, 4 Jul 2002, Catherine Goldin wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I try to run GMP-based engine implementation, following up to instructions
> of Geoff. Actually I cannot even configure it.
> I have latest engine version.

Um, as mentioned - the GMP stuff was developed using the HEAD of CVS.
Nonetheless, 0.9.7-stable should also work. The problem seems to be this:
in neither 0.9.7-stable nor HEAD is there such a thing as an "engine
version", as the ENGINE code was merged with the main branch after the
release (and branching) of 0.9.6. I can only conclude that you're using
0.9.6-engine of some kind? That won't work, at least without you rewriting
elements of the hw_gmp.c file and manually integrating it yourself.

> (2) add the obvious "L GMP hw_gmp_err.h hw_gmp_err.c" entry to
>     crypto/engine/hw.ec=>
> WHERE is this file? there is no such file in ../crypto/engine

In 0.9.7-stable snapshots and betas, as well as CVS snapshots, that file
is there.

> (4) declare "void ENGINE_load_gmp(void);" in crypto/engine/engine.h like
>     all the other engines.
> actually i didn't find other declarations here...
>
> (5) add a call to "ENGINE_load_gmp();" in crypto/engine/eng_all.c.
>
> There is no such file as well...

Same deal, looks like you're using something too old.

Cheers,
Geoff