I was able to build OpenSSL for 64 bit AIX. I was able to make most of
the requisite modifications to Configure but was unable to find out how to pass the
-X64 flag to ar. The workaround is to set the OBJECT_MODE environment variable to 64.

        If anyone on the OpenSSL team is interested in integrating 64 bit AIX into
Configure,
I'll be glad to work with them to get it done. If not, that's OK too.

Glenn Horton                 SAS Institute
919-531-6640                R4306 SAS Campus Dr.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  Cary, N.C. 27513

SAS... The Power to Know