Bodo Moeller wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 01:24:32PM +0300, Arne Ansper wrote:
>

>>[...]               what if some standalone application thinks that the
>>best solution for _its own_ problems is to reboot the machine? (happens
>>all the time under the windows btw, you install some crap and the
>>installer happily reboots your system). for me it's not different if some
>>library thinks that the best solution for _its own_ problems is to kill
>>the application. the application must have a control.
>

> Exactly.

If you want to do this, wrap the application and do the reboot in the
wrapper.

>>                                                      if the internal
>>error (it would be correct to call them bugs, btw) happens
>

> When in internal error happens, this is because of a bug, but the
> internal error is not the bug.  A bug is a property, not an event.
>

>>                                                            application
>>must get this information and then it's up to the application to deal with
>>it. if it's simple commandline tool it can call abort by itself. if its
>>complex application it might unload the openssl and reload it later. or
>>save its state and restart. only application knows what the right thing to
>>do is.
>

> Also only if the application sees an error message, it has the
> opportunity to write this message to a logfile.  With 'abort()', all
> you know is that the program is no longer running, but you usually
> have no idea why this happened.

Writing the message to a logfile via a BIO, for example, which would use
function pointers, which is how Neohapsis exploited the SSL bug? Once
memory is (potentially) corrupt, it isn't safe to do _anything_.

Incidentally, abort() coredumps, so you know far more than if all you
did was write some error message to some file.

Cheers,

Ben.

Available for contract work.