[levitte - Thu Aug 15 16:04:15 2002]:
> [guest - Thu Aug 15 14:21:45 2002]:

>> Since isalist displays the available native instruction sets ordered
>> in the sense of best performance, I guess the best choice for target
>> would be the leftmost in the list displayed. Under no circumstances
>> should the target be set to something which is not available on the
>> respective platform. Agree?

Note that the solaris-sparcv9-cc and solaris-sparcv9-gcc configurations
actually use just sparcv8plus code (32 bit); see Configure.
Only the solari64-sparcv9-... configuration really needs sparcv9.

This is on a sun4u machine with 32-bit OS only:
$ isalist
sparcv8plus+vis sparcv8plus sparcv8 sparcv8-fsmuld sparcv7 sparc

solaris-sparcv9-cc or ...-gcc are the configurations that should be used
on this machine.

Do you have a sun4u machine on which the solaris-sparcv9-cc/gcc code
actually fails?

> I agree.  Please try the attached patch

The patch should not be necessary (and should probably be reverted in
the CVS).