Sam Leffler wrote:
> 0.9.7 caused massive havoc compiling kerberos 4 (and to some extent 5) when
> I integrated beta 3 into the freebsd tree.  The crypt() macro was a minor
> annoyance.  The bigger problem was the redefinition of the DES key state
> block (from array to struct).  openbsd apparently has workarounds that
> include mods to evp.h but I haven't looked closely at them.  I just took the
> brute force approach and wacked the kerberos code which is probably
> unnacceptable for long term maintenance.

The underlying problem is that kerberos 4 includes bits of 3 and makes
unwarranted assumptions about the compatibility of doing so (in
particular, if memory serves, using kerberos 3 headers for OpenSSL
libraries). I'm not sure how its best to fix this, but when I was
looking it did seem to me to be clearly a bug in kerberos.

Cheers,

Ben.