I have to ask: why do you feel the need to remove the ENGINE
framework?  I can understand that you might not want to have any
built-in engines (the option 'no-hw' to Configure should help.  If
not, I'm happy to apply a corrective patch).

I'd like a good explanation before I consider applying this patch,
especially since the ENGINE platform may become a very integral part
of OpenSSL.

--
Richard Levitte