I re-ran the NIST AES Validation Tests with 0.9.7 Beta3 Snapshot 20021027
which purports to have fixed the padding problem and so should handle 8-bit
(1 octet) data blocks with AES-128 (and AES-192 and AES-256) in CFB Mode.
The basic tests which all use 16 byte data blocks still work fine, but the
Monte Carlo tests which use 8-bit data blocks still fail, i.e. the OpenSSL
result does not match the predicted result, at even the first iteration.
Should I manually turn off padding?
I am using the sequence:
EVP_CipherInit() + EVP_Cipher()  for the first iteration,
then just EVP_Cipher() for the following ones of the 999 iterations.
Would it make any difference if I went down to EVP_CipherUpdate() instead of
EVP_Cipher() with an EVP_CipherFinal() after the last iteration?
I haven't seen any problems with stream encryption/decryption using AES CFB
mode but then I am talking between my own machines, all with the same code.
Chris Brook