I don't recall what happened to the other email thread, but I also submitted
patches for that issue as well. The idea is to keep the OpenSSL internal data
structures in ASCII. So I patched a couple of the conf routines to translate
EBCDIC (read from a config file) into ASCII, etc. You need to do this anyway,
because the ca program was double-translating some of the certificate fields
on display, turning them into garbage. (I alluded to that in this msg thread,
in fact.)

  -- Howard Chu