* Doug Kaufman ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> I know that the problem of "head3" in the pod files has been brought up
> before, but I thought it had been resolved. Doing "make install_docs",
> using the latest 0.9.7-stable files from cvs, I get an error in
> processing doc/crypto/engine.pod, related to "head3". The man page is
> created, but is truncated at the first "head3" in the pod file. This is
> the only file where I see the problem. The error message that I get is:
>
> installing man3/engine.3
> Can't locate object method "cmd_head3" via package "Pod::Man" at \
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/Pod/Man.pm line 463, <GEN0> line 191.

Yes, this was left in limbo a bit. I'm of the mind that as far as pod
manipulations go, we should catch up with the later perl versions
that allow up to 4 levels of 'head'er. Ie. update our bundled version of
pod2man, and use that if the system's version is too old. However,
others had suggested we stick with the two levels offered by the (not
yet obsolete) version of Perl most people have. The argument seems to be
between the value of the pod files themselves (ie. people wanting to
manually convert them to html, latex, or whatever) and the improvements
possible in the man pages openssl generates from those pods. My opinion
is that the man pages generated by "make install_docs" is all that
matters w.r.t. version choices, and if others want to use the pod files
directly they can obtain versions of the "pod" tools that can handle
them.

I think with 0.9.7 in beta, I will try to replace the "=head3" items
with something else in the 0.9.7 branch, but leave it as-is in the cvs
HEAD until we can get some definitive decision on how to proceed.

Cheers,
Geoff

--
Geoff Thorpe