I sent this to openssl-dev previously, but I think it got lost in
the noise there (since it didn't go through rt).

In OpenSSL 0.9.6h, there are a couple of BN_init() bugs in
crypto/dsa/dsa_ossl.c. The BN_init() calls in question are in the functions:
dsa_do_sign()    (lines 113-114)
dsa_sign_setup() (line 187)
dsa_do_verify()  (lines 239-241)

In all cases, the BN_init() calls need to be moved before the first
if statement (so that they are the first functions executed). As written,
if you goto the err label before doing the BN_init() call you could cause
a crash when you attempt to free a garbage pointer.

The same bugs exist in 0.9.7 but on slightly different line numbers.