[[EMAIL PROTECTED] - Thu Jan 16 18:06:21 2003]:

> OpenSSL version: 0.9.7
> Platform: HP-UX 11.00
> Severity: Minor
>
> Hello,
>
> I just rebuilt OpenSSL 0.9.7 on several platforms (OpenVMS, Solaris,
> Linux,
> HP-UX, WinNT). The "make" failed on HP-UX due to a minor problem in
> the
> following four makefiles (all new in 0.9.7 AFAIK):
>
>     crypto/engine/Makefile.ssl
>     crypto/krb5/Makefile.ssl
>     crypto/ocsp/Makefile.ssl
>     crypto/ui/Makefile.ssl
>
> In these makefiles, ranlib is invoked using the following command:
>
>       $(RANLIB) $(LIB)
>
> This should be replaced by:
>
>       $(RANLIB) $(LIB) || echo Never mind.

Thanks. I have made the changes similar to those in the other
subdirectories.

>       /usr/ccs/bin/ranlib ../libcrypto.a
> /usr/ccs/bin/ranlib: /usr/ccs/bin/ranlib: Cannot find or open the
> file.

You seem to have transition links installed, don't you?
  /usr/bin/ranlib -> /usr/ccs/bin/ranlib
but you seem to be missing ranlib completely. This seems to be pretty
unusual, as nobody else reported this problem.
On HP-UX 10.20 I do have the transition link and a "dummy" ranlib
telling that ranlib is not needed anymore...

Ticket resolved,
       Lutz