Hi all,

I posted over a month ago about an "Unexpected Signal: 11" in MD5_Init.  The same
error has happened again, but this time I have a bit more information:  MD5_Init was
called with a null pointer (c == 0), hence the seg fault.  However, no calls to
CRYPTO_malloc (or similar functions including OPENSSL_malloc functions) failed, so
this is not an out-of-memory problem.  Thus, given that we're using OpenSSL in
non-blocking mode in a multi-threaded environment and the extremely infrequent nature
of this bug, my best guess is that this is some very obscure timing issue whereby
MD5_Init is being called before the relevant data structures have been fulling
initialized.

So does anybody have any idea how this might happen?  Any suggestions on how I might
further track the problem down?  I'm planning on adding some printfs to
EVP_DigestInit_ex to print some additional contextual info if ctx->digest->init is
called with ctx->md_data == null.

Again, we've only seen this problem on our production stack:

OpenSSL 0.9.7b 10 Apr 2003

SunOS tango 5.8 Generic_108528-17 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-280R

System Configuration:  Sun Microsystems  sun4u Sun Fire 280R (2 X UltraSPARC-III)
System clock frequency: 150 MHz
Memory size: 2048 Megabytes

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,